Re: Convert Stand-alone database to RAC

From: Mark Bobak <Mark.Bobak_at_proquest.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2014 14:17:21 +0000

Hi Seth,

While I certainly agree that a non-RAC database can run on a host that's in a cluster, and can use binaries from the RAC $ORACLE_HOME, it's not true that there are no differences between RAC and non-RAC binaries.

In fact, Oracle provides a facility to relink binaries w/ or w/o RAC enabled. See MOS Doc. ID 1059831.1.

Also, quite a few years ago now, I believe James Morle did some testing of single-instance on RAC vs. non-RAC binaries, and found a measurable overhead in using RAC binaries for a non-RAC database.

-Mark

From: Seth Miller <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com<mailto:sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>> Reply-To: "sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com<mailto:sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>" <sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com<mailto:sethmiller.sm_at_gmail.com>> Date: Wednesday, May 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM
To: Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca<mailto:ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>> Cc: Maaz Anjum <maazanjum_at_gmail.com<mailto:maazanjum_at_gmail.com>>, "oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: Re: Convert Stand-alone database to RAC

Chris,

A database need not be a cluster database to run in a RAC cluster. In fact, the binaries running a RAC database are no different from those running a non-RAC database. Feel free to migrate your database to a RAC cluster without converting it to a cluster database.

It's also relatively easy to use RMAN Duplicate to go from single instance to cluster.

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca<mailto:ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>> wrote: Okay. Thanks Maaz.. I was confused because I'd thought that a stand-alone oracle database could only run on a cluster if it was in a separate ORACLE_HOME. But it looks like that's not the case if I'm just bringing the database over to convert it to RAC.... although I like the idea of importing into a new RAC database! Since this database is only 20GB in size, that would be faster/easier.

Many thanks..

On Wednesday, May 7, 2014 1:35:08 PM, Maaz Anjum <maazanjum_at_gmail.com<mailto:maazanjum_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi Chris,

Is the intent to extend the RAC cluster by one more host? Or simply migrate the existing database to RAC?

If its the former, then the steps are the as adding a new node to an existing cluster, i.e. add storage, additional IP addresses and NIC(s) etc. After that you would convert the database from single instance to a RAC database by either DBCA or RConfig. I might be missing a few steps here :)

If its the latter, you could simply create a new blank RAC database and import the data. The benefits here are that a) you can test performance in parallel on both environments, and b) you have a fallback in case the application does not do well on RAC.

Cheers,
Maaz

On Wed, May 7, 2014 at 1:03 PM, Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca<mailto:ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>> wrote: It seems there are a number of methods to convert a stand-alone database to a RAC database.. but it's not clear to me if I have to first move the stand-alone database onto the cluster first.. the stand-alone presently sits on a separate server on the same network. Can someone clarify that for me?

Details: stand-alone is not using ASM, and sits on a stand-alone server the RAC cluster is on the same network, and presently runs only one test database. Both are the same version of Oracle (11.2) and same o/s (RHEL6).

Thank you!
-ck

--

A life yet to be lived...