Re: Diskgroups for redo, controlfiles, and temp?

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 09:57:13 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Dave,

> Has anyone ever run into blogs that have demostrated large performance
> gains, when on a SAN, by splitting out redo, controlfiles, and temp onto
> their own diskgroups? I don't recall ever seeing this as a best practice
> and in this periodic discussion brought up to our group I believe has
> agreed. I'm getting pressure from an outside resource to split out these
> file types for performance reasons yet haven't received anything specific to
> explain why and the arguments presented have been high level and similar to
> arguments from long ago on older hardware.

Having gone through this recently, I found no discernable difference in the IO to/from the SAN (XIV from IBM), whether my Oracle files were split out to separate VGs or not. I couldn't even tell the difference between VGs that had 2, 5, or 10 PVs (LUNs) in them. The only way to be sure is to test it for yourself, of course!

I did, however, split up mount points in AIX 7.1 (non-ASM, obviously) for everything -- 7 mounts per database. Under AIX 5.3, I see JFS2 corruption occasionally on our >1TB mounts. It's easily corrected (so far!) with an fsck, but not something I want to gamble with.

GL!

Rich