RE: Diskgroups for redo, controlfiles, and temp?

From: Ruel, Chris <Chris.Ruel_at_lfg.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 14:56:28 +0000

I don't think that simply splitting these out will cause a performance improvement unless the back-end disks supporting the disk groups are physically separated, tiered, or of the SSD variety. Putting all your files into different containers (disk groups) with the containers all being on the same aggregate gains you nothing in performance.

We split ours out into DATA, CTL, ARCH, REDO, and TEMP though because we utilize snap technology. REDO and TEMP and shared if we have multiple databases on the machine/cluster. DATA, CTL, and ARCH will be dedicated to a each database.

Chris..

Chris Ruel * Oracle Database Administrator cruel_at_lfg.com * Desk:317.759.2172 * Cell 317.523.8482