Re: training for new DBA's

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:09:57 -0600

For this test that always fails, do you specify the Recovery Time Objective (RTO) - is it clear to these juniors what "success" is? I'm assuming it is well defined, but I have a hard time with tests that are setup to fail.  Juniors are going to make mistakes - that's why they are juniors and not intermediaries or seniors. Do they have access to a senior level during this test to gauge their input and is that input freely given? I could see sacking a junior for not engaging with team members to make sure they had their bases covered, but not for solely failing to backup redo logs in a final test that even some intermediaries (and maybe a few seniors) would fail. (Granted, I'm probably reading more into your comment than intended and I sincerely apologize if so - I'm just genuinely puzzled by what you posted and I'm sure there's more to it than what you provided - at least I hope so)

Regards,
Chris