RE: training for new DBA's

From: Dave Morgan <oracle_at_1001111.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:11:10 -0700

> Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 09:27:07 -0500
> From: Ram Srinivasan <srinivasanram2004_at_gmail.com>
>
> All:
> This situation occurred exactly 2 years ago at my place. Let me explain
> this.
> One new SA took over as SA Team Lead, and she wanted to show off her
> powers. So one day, without telling anyone, she revoked the root access to
> all the DBAs in one swoop. The next day I was installing some PSU patch,

Snip....

> In my opinion, the DBAs should have access to root, and at the same time
> DBAs should not misuse this power by changing the kernel parameters, and
> other system parameters without consulting the SAs.

I totally disagree, even though we have root in over 50% of our clients. You are a DBA not a sysadmin. If you have poor relations or receive poor service from the sysadmins then fix that problem, it is the root cause.

An example, sysadmins are frustrated because I keep calling them to install packages I need (and were on a list I supplied them). I am given root without any warnings. I do my installs, install oracle, create a db and configure the machine.

Then I do what any good sysadmin does, make sure the machine will stand up after an outage. I execute "init 6" and contact the sysadmins to tell them I am finished.

At that time I am told "DO NOT REBOOT"

Someone had to drive 150 km (90 mi) one way to push the little red button.

YMMV
Dave

--
Dave Morgan
Senior Consultant, 1001111 Alberta Limited