Re: training for new DBA's

From: Wayne Smith <wts_at_maine.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 14:48:21 -0500

Wow, I think I disagree with just about every response here, except for the need of sandboxes. (Sorry!)

I think you should look at what you need from your new DBA(s).

DBAs come in all shapes, interests and skills, as will your would-be DBA trainee(s)s. Figure what your company needs from its DBAs and this(these) DBA(s) in particular. Make a plan for each one that will get them functional, useful and independent as quickly as possible with a plan of skill development over the coming months, with a look at progress and needs every 3-6-12 months.

Consider that you want your trainee to succeed, but s/he may not want to be a DBA in 6 months or a year ... have your time and company money been totally wasted?

Cheers, Wayne