training for new DBA's

From: Jeff C <backseatdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:11:20 -0800

We are looking at training a new DBA from scratch (hiring from within) and I am looking for any opinions on where/how/what to train this person on. I was thinking of starting with just basic SQL and relational database design then onto some pl/sql. After that move on to dba stuff. Is there any good free or cheap places to get this kind of training? And how would you test a very beginner candidate to know if they would be a good fit for this position. Any questions or tests I good give them? What would you look for?

This is new to me as I have been mainly the lone dba for years and also trained on the job.
Thanks for any input.

Jeff