Character Sets in 11g

From: Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 11:13:02 -0800 (PST)

I'm trying to understand an instruction the following instructions from an application installation guide. It says: If the database is configured for the UTF8 or AL32UTF8 character set (NLS_CHARACTERSET parameter) in a LATIN-1 locale, and the CHAR schema is used as an underlying persistent schema, set the NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS parameter of the database to CHAR to prevent column field overflow. I'm using UTF8 and AL32UTF8 with America (language), American (territory). Is this considered a Latin-1 locale? I'm somewhat confused because we typically use the western characterset, which I know includes latin characters. But I think locale refers to the language and territory? Also how do I determine what the underlying persistent schema is?  I can't just set NLS_LENGTH_SEMANTICS to CHAR unless it's necessary, as I have a conflicting requirements from another application which will share this database, so understanding this will be key to how I set up the database(s). Thanks in advance!