RE: using alter xx.xxx recompile to reset packages in other sessions

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hp.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:36:40 +0000

More detail or the code involved might help someone provide you with a different approach. I do not understand why you would need to use a package to hold what is a constant for one day then update it apparently on the change in the date to the next day. Using an Oracle Context object to hold a global variable and value might be an option.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:17 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: using alter xx.xxx recompile to reset packages in other sessions

Hello,

alter package xx.yy recompile;

This force other session to reconnect or reload.

The question is: "Is this a reasonable solution in 11g and upwards", because I remember from 11g the way Oracle decompile process had been optimized." Or this could cause problems.

The explanation:

I have a package where I set the date in a package variable, to improve performance. I need to reset that variables after I close de day, this means advance +1 the date.. The only way I found is to issue the alter compile.

Thank you.