Re: Oracle RAC with Active Data Guard : Maximum Availability Architecture

From: Nassyam Basha <nassyambasha_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 20:43:32 +0530

Hi Chris,

Usually when patching on DataGuard environment, Standby will be down and patch will be applied(No post scripts will be updated), Next we jump to primary database and here its RAC so we can opt for rolling patching. in rolling patch there is no downtime at all. And each node will be patched and brought up while other node(s) are still running after all patching is done we do run post scripts..hence patching will be completed on primary.. So we can avoid downtime on Primary.

So far we initially already patched on standby and also primary, When patches are applied on whole environmnet, when we start MRP of course dictionary will be updated whenever the archives/redo applied on standby database(s). So still we can avoid downtime.

If you are planning for master patching, from 11g release to release (or) patch set upgrade, Then you might consider rolling upgrade patching. You can refer
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/availability/maa-wp-11g-upgrades-made-easy-131972.pdf

In short i can say not complex, If properly planned :) Correct me if missing or something wrong.

Thanks,
Nassyam Basha.
www.oracle-ckpt.com

--