Oracle RAC with Active Data Guard : Maximum Availability Architecture

From: Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 06:37:08 -0800 (PST)

We're architecting a new system, and will need 99.5% availability. Looking over Oracle's MAA options, I see RAC with Data Guard. .. but it's not clear to me how this would actually work to avoid ALL downtime. Won't I still need downtime to apply patches, even if I use rolling patches? And isn't it more complex applying patches when there's a standby involved?

Is 99.5% really achievable with this combination?

Thanks in advance..