Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 10:08:09 +0000

Yep, (at least with NB) the tape id / location in rman is that of the original location. It is never updated when NB moves the location (eg when going from VTL / DSU to real tape)

I use the following script to find the tape(s) needed to restore a given (list of) backup pieces:

#!/bin/bash

CLIENT=$1 ; shift
DB=$1 ; shift
FILE_LIST=$_at_
for FILE in $FILE_LIST
do
  awk 'BEGIN {printf "%-19s", "File:"}'; echo $FILE;   for BACKUP_ID in `bpflist -d 01/01/1970 00:00:00 -pt Oracle -pattern $FILE -client $CLIENT -keyword $DB -U | grep "Backup ID:" |awk '{print $3}'`   do
    bpimagelist -media -backupid $BACKUP_ID -L | egrep "Backup ID:|Backup Time:|Copy number:|Fragment:|Media Type:|Expiration Time:|^[ ]*ID";   done
  echo
done

By feeding it the backup pieces required to do a restore, I can obtain the list of tapes required and request all of them to be available in the tape robot before doing the restore.

Kind regards,

--
Freek D'Hooge
Uptime

On vr, 2013-12-20 at 20:40 +1100, Nuno Souto wrote:

On 20/12/2013 8:25 AM, Jared Still wrote:

> If your company archives data of site via NetBackup vaulting, or
> something similar,
> good luck restoring a quarterly backup from last year without a catalog.
>
> It can be done, but it is much simpler if the metadata is retained in
> the RMAN catalog.

Not sure about that, Jared.
We use Netbackup and it is a piece of cake to get any tape we want from off-site storage.
I certainly would not rely on RMAN catalog to keep Netbackup tape id and locations!
The scenario I described earlier where we got back a db from 2 years before was precisely off one of those Netbackup catalogs. Not an issue at all. Any notion that non-Oracle software cannot possibly work correctly with Oracle products belongs to sales arenas...