Private Synonyms

From: Dick Goulet <rjgoulet_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 18:29:31 -0500

All,

     Is there anyone other than myself that doesn't think this is right. For those of you who have missed it, like I did, when Oracle started evolving Fine Grained Access Controls (FGA) the role of private synonyms changed. Try this for starters and I'll make it easy:

  1. install the scott account, we'll need emp.
  2. create another account, any name you like, I'll use user1.
  3. create a third account, I'll call it user2.
  4. as scott grant select on emp to user1.
  5. as scott grant select on emp to user2.
  6. as user1 create a private synonym to scott.emp
  7. as user2 "select * from user1.emp;"

If you go back to a V8 database step 7 above will end in an ORA-00942. If your on V9 or higher, you get data.

Does this sound fishy??? I've opened an itar with Oracle. They referenced note:174368.1 Policies on Synonyms. But this just seems wrong to me. Any other opinion???

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA.