Re: Why I don't like RMAN repositories

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 14:25:57 -0600 (CST)

Chris writes:

> Out of curiosity, with nightly FULL rman backups of a production database,
> why would you recommend a value greater than 7 for keep time?

I was just thinking the same thing. My RMAN backups are to the FRA on disk, which are then picked up by "tape" (Tivoli) nightly. For the new production box, Tivoli will be picking up the FRA additions (arch logs) a few times during the day as well.

RMAN is configured with a recovery window of 1 day. Our Tivoli tapes get shipped offsite daily, leaving the disk cache for short-term recovery.

"The Plan" has been to manually restore from Tivoli back to the FRA on disk, catalog the restored files, then restore/recover from RMAN. Perhaps a little more manual work, but it works well for us.

I still haven't seen any compelling information to make me want to use a recovery catalog for our environment. It adds a point of failure and additional complexity without giving us any benefits that I can see from the arguments here. Of course, YMMV...

Rich