RE: Teradata article about exadata

From: Michael McMullen <ganstadba_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:01:16 -0500

I've worked on both systems, but not dba on teradata. Teradata does have a procedural language but it is a hassle to work with, though I haven't been on the system in two years. Everything is based on the amp. They have something called "spool space" which is similar to temp space in Oracle but much harder to work with, again based on the amp. We spent most of our time dealing with spool space issues. We found that you always have to query based on how the data model fits the amp which probably doesn't match how users want to query the data. Very different than Oracle where you can just query however you want. Querying clob (unstructured) data with Exadata is still a hassle. It's no different on a exadata machine than a regular database, even with securefile clobs. Oracle really needs to figure that piece out. The beauty of Oracle is its flexibility. With knowledgeable people there really isn't much you can't do within the database.