New behavior in 11g?

From: Maureen English <maureen.english_at_alaska.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 10:19:35 -0900

We have an application that has been using a 10g database for years. We just
created a new 11.2.0.4 RAC database on a new RHEL5 Linux server.

When the application used the 10g database, also on a RHEL5 Linux server, we'd
see connections from the application server...JDBC Thin Client connections...that
would stay connected until the application was shut down. One specific user was
always connected the database, and always inactive shortly after the application
started.

Now that the application is using the 11g database, I'm seeing that this connection
disappears exactly 2 hours after its last activity...I turned on auditing so I could see
what was happening.

On the application server, the process still exists...netstat shows the connection as
ESTABLISHED for the port being used. The audit trail, however, shows the last
entry for that user as doing a 'LOGOFF BY CLEANUP'. I'm 95% sure that there had
been no communication between the application and the database for this user for
the 2 hours before it disappeared...I was monitoring netstat output and the audit trail.

I'm also sure that this is related to either some kind of timeout on the new database
server, or some kind of timeout in the database. IDLE_TIME for the profile is set to
UNLIMITED, so it's not that. No alert log info and no trace file info to show anything
is wrong.

It really looks like something is killing the Oracle process, but I don't know where
else to look. Is there some kind of system parameter that may have been set that
kills processes that are essentially inactive?

  • Maureen