Re: Copying an Oracle Software "Gold Image" without Cloning?

From: Jeremy Schneider <jeremy.schneider_at_ardentperf.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 13:09:23 -0600

I can't quite tell if you're talking about removing gcc from a client system or a server system.

On a client system, I don't remember for sure, but I didn't think the instant client needed to be linked. Seems to me you should be able to get by without gcc. Are you installing a full client in addition to the instant client?

On a server system, I don't think you can go without gcc. First off, as you yourself pointed out - some maintenance operations (like installing PSUs or CPUs) will require build tools to relink the binaries. Second, there are database features - such as PL/SQL native compilation - which actually use GCC to compile code on the fly. While your database may startup and probably won't crash if you remove gcc after install/clone, I suspect Oracle support would simply say that you're not running in a supported configuration if you run into problems.

Using clone.sh is the only official approach AFAIK for cloning servers. But I didn't think clone.sh actually ran a relink for non-RAC systems, though I might be wrong about that. You said that you were getting errors from clone.sh. (Are your errors from a prereq check? I think there's a way to skip those.)

If you do any more testing I'd be very interested to hear the outcomes. Lots of people on this list use gold-images (with clone.sh) quite extensively - myself included!

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider