Re: Oracle 8i crashed: system ts needs more recovery - how do I recover from this?

From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:31:08 +1000

Happy to say that I'm only called in to repair the damage :)

They've had this database setup by another consultant, many years ago, and relied on the scripts that consultant left them with. Those scripts weren't of the quality that we'd hope to see.. basically one-command files to feed to Windows Scheduler - no error checking, not even output logging.

Perhaps a timely reminder to check that the backup scripts are actually working and leave a trace if they aren't.

Cheers,
Tony

On 01/11/13 00:28, Powell, Mark wrote:
> If you have been running this old system for years then it would seem logical that a backup process was set up at one time. If rman was not being used to back up the database then maybe manual hot backups were being made and you just need to look in a different location to find those backup files. Do you have a tape management system? Perhaps the backups were being dumped to tape and the old backup you found was just never removed. The might be worth checking.
>
> If you are unable to "restore" the database on the new server one other option might be to see if nightly full exports were being taken of the database. If exports were being taken then creating a new empty database and populating it with the export might be an option.

<..snip due to overquoting..>