Re: Oracle 8i crashed: system ts needs more recovery - how do I recover from this?

From: De DBA <dedba_at_tpg.com.au>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2013 11:05:30 +1000

There was a backup script, which simply used xcopy to copy the entire Oracle installation, including the database, to a mounted drive. For some reason that has been failing since 25/7 and no-one noticed.. I'm fairly positive that it ran, as the database was shutdown and restarted every day.

I tried to apply the redo logs, which made me even more wary of mixed file versions: the last log file contains an expected sequence number, but the penultimate redo log contains a sequence number that was generated on 9 August. The alertlog clearly shows that the redo logs have been switching normally until a few days before the crash (the tail of the file is unfortunately severely corrupted..) Something very fishy has been going on with this filesystem.

Cheers,
Tony