RE: Oracle Licensing on VMware

From: Anthony Ballo <aballo_at_unm.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2013 15:27:31 +0000

Have you found that Oracle is very interested in whether your VM solution is "hard partitioned" or not (for CPU pricing and license compliance) ?

" Soft partitioning is not permitted as a means to determine or limit the number of software licenses required for any given server. "

My personal experience with Oracle's licensing audits is that you are charged for what you _could_ use instead of what you are actually using. For example, if you buy a server with 6 sockets and have 2 empty, you are expected to pay for 6 (not 4). If you rely on "CPU Pinning" - Oracle may not recognize this approach because it is not "hard portioned" and you may (will) have issues come an audit and dealing with the LMS thugs. This will require a "fully licensed host" as far as CPUs are concerned.

Anthony

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/pricing/partitioning-070609.pdf

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vmw-understanding-oracle-certification-supportlicensing-environments.pdf