Re: Issue with host credentials in OEM 11g Database Control

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 11:26:28 +0100

Lisa (Hi there!)
Is the Oracle use a local user, i.e exists in /etc/passwd or authenticated via some external directory? DBControl doesn't understand the latter properly (if at all). you should be able to do grep oracle /etc/passwd to find out. In the example below I am authenticated externally while oracle is a real local user on the server.

$ id
uid=NNNNN(niall.litchfield)
$ grep niall.litchfield /etc/passwd
$ id oracle
uid=XXX(oracle) gid=YYY(oinstall)
$ grep oracle /etc/passwd
oracle:x:XXX:YYY:Oracle user:/home/oracle:/bin/bash

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 9:57 PM, Lisa Dobson <lj_dobson_at_yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> Hoping someone can help shed some light on an issue that has me completely
> puzzled.
>

> Environment:
>
> Enterprise Manager Database Control 11g
>
> Oracle database 11.2.0.2 (Enterprise Edition)
>
> RHEL5
>

> I attempted to schedule an ad-hoc backup via OEM today. This is something
> I've done many, many times before without any issues at all.
>
> However, the 'oracle' user password was changed recently on our Linux boxes
> and we're now hitting a problem when needing to specify host credentials on
> the schedule backup page in OEM. This is happening on multiple servers, all
> set up as above.
>

> If I specify the current password when asked for host credentials it errors
> out with: 'Error
> <
> https://fig.dur.ac.uk:1158/em/console/database/rec/backup?event=start&targe
> t=rem7dev.dur.ac.uk&type=oracle_database> - Connection to host as user
> oracle failed.ERROR: Invalid username and/or password'
>
> If I specify the old previous password then I am able to proceed and the
> backup runs.
>

> There are currently no preferred credentials set within the preferences
> section of OEM.
>
> If I try to set preferred credentials with username oracle and the current
> password it errors out.
>
> I've raised an SR with MOS and they are currently working on it, but no
> luck
> so far. They asked for an upload of target.xml file but that doesn't appear
> to me to indicate any stored config for host username/password.
>
> Oracle haven't got back to me yet since I uploaded the file so I can
> include
> here if anyone wants to double check.
>

> I need to understand why OEM thinks the old oracle user password is still
> valid and is not recognising the new one - how is it authenticating and how
> can I change this?
>

> I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but can't for the life of me
> think of what it is. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Lisa.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA