hosts vs DNS for RAC

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 15:50:42 -0300

Hi,
  I've been working with a customer for the past several months and they pretty much refuse to use DNS resolution for the hostnames of the database servers. I was not bothered by this since I usually use IPs in my configurations and app configuration was not my concern.

  However now I have to install a RAC (11.2) and they insist in using /etc/hosts aliases instead of DNS. I've done this in my VMs and it works, but in the install doc it is clearly stated that you need to have a DNS.

  I've installed only 11.2.0.1 with /etc/hosts, but I see some 11.2.0.3 clusters working without a DNS (even an exadata!).

  So, has anyone faced any issues while confguring an 11.2.0.3.5 RAC without a DNS?

   oh, we have only one SCAN IP (don't get me started...)

Cheers
Alan.-