Re: 12c grid control

From: Justin Mungal <justin_at_n0de.ws>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 07:57:47 -0500

> > And if tested properly, most (if not
> > all) bugs that would affect you would be discovered in the testing
> > phase and appropriate actions may be taken (deciding not to implement
> > that version of the product or requesting Oracle Support for a bug
> > analysis and patch for instance).
>
> The problem to me is I don't have the time nor the resources to fully
> and completely test every possible nuance or detail of every new release
> that Oracle regurgitates. As such, I do the next best thing: I let
> others discover the bleeding edges, and 2 years down the line I start
> looking at the product again at whatever point release it is in.
>
> I know it's not an optimal solution. But 27 years of using Oracle's
> extremely buggy products for lack of a proper alternative, taught me the
> lesson of not doing their job at my expense. And if that excites their
> sensibility and they get upset, my answer is simply:
>
> "Tough! I pay enough in support fees to do whatever I please with the
> product!"
> Unless of course they prefer I stop paying support? Somehow I don't
> think that is the case...

I'm sure many folks are with you. What is surprising to me is that this would even upset anyone's sensibilities. It's well known that when a new product becomes available, early adopters who want the bleeding edge technology adopt it and smooth it out until it matures and is more widely adopted over time.

2 years is a bit more conservative than I would be for a new release of Oracle specifically, but I see nothing outlandish about it at all. All it equates to is being, on average, 1 release behind the newest, but having minimal headaches because the software has had a chance to stabilize. In my mind 1 year or so should be good enough to have at least the show stopping issues resolved... but, I've only been working with Oracle for about 3.5~ years, so maybe I am a little naive in that sense.