Re: 12c grid control

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:25:56 +1000

On 1/07/2013 10:07 PM, Guillermo Alan Bort wrote:

> As this is an oracle product, you are stuck using Oracle Database and
> are thus limited by its HA capabilities, and yes that means RAC and
> DataGuard. (note that I say AND, because I consider OEM to be a
> primary system and need the highest possible level of protection).

Er.... No. Not by any means. Or at least, not by my means. EM is a low I/O system so down the SAN's sync replication path it goes. And yes: I trust the SAN group replication a LOT more than I trust Oracle's buggy RAC/DG!
But that's just me, of course, and 7 years of NO FAILURES whatsoever, doing what I do.
Facts are facts and I like my sleep.

> right)... and there you have the entire HA solution with a couple of
> servers, a decent storage and

See? I do the same, with just one server on each site.

> DBA/Manager/whatever must make their own decision on whether to adopt
> new technology or not. I always try to stay on the bleeding edge of
> technology, I like it, I like to learn, I like to test features, I
> like to think of ways to test a new database or feature and honestly
> I sometimes just like the challenge. There is, however, a long way
> from toying around in a lab to implementing a tool or new db version
> in a productive environment.

Bingo. There is a world of difference between "adopt" and "test".

> And if tested properly, most (if not
> all) bugs that would affect you would be discovered in the testing
> phase and appropriate actions may be taken (deciding not to implement
> that version of the product or requesting Oracle Support for a bug
> analysis and patch for instance).

The problem to me is I don't have the time nor the resources to fully and completely test every possible nuance or detail of every new release that Oracle regurgitates. As such, I do the next best thing: I let others discover the bleeding edges, and 2 years down the line I start looking at the product again at whatever point release it is in.

I know it's not an optimal solution. But 27 years of using Oracle's extremely buggy products for lack of a proper alternative, taught me the lesson of not doing their job at my expense. And if that excites their sensibility and they get upset, my answer is simply:

"Tough! I pay enough in support fees to do whatever I please with the product!"
Unless of course they prefer I stop paying support? Somehow I don't think that is the case...

> So in the end this discussion is moot as everyone needs to evaluate
> the tool based on their own environment and needs.

Absolutely. And to paraphrase Sheldon Cooper of Big Bang Theory fame: "I was not discussing anything. I was stating what I do, which doesn't match what others might do."
Perfectly "Spock"! ;-)

> their needs. So there is at least a chance that it will work for
> you.

I live in hope! :-)

> sorry for the wall of text.

Not a problem at all. Much appreciated.