Re: 12c grid control

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 21:13:24 +1000

On 1/07/2013 8:39 AM, Tim Hall wrote:
> RE: EM12c Have to agree with Kellyn here. > people, once you try Cloud Control, you won't go back to other tools
> (except SQL*PLus). It's definitely a production-ready solution,
> backed by an 11g DB repository!

Oh, I like EM12c. Still have to see it run reliably and durably in our setup but that might indeed be due to the multiple installs it's been a "victim" of, including some by Oracle support "experts" - who managed to break it to the point I am considering a complete wipeclean-reinstall... But that is not the fault of EM12c!

> Services, which is still shipped with an 11.1.0.7 client. :) In the
> same way, it's going to take a while for EM12c to be fixed up to use
> 12cR1 database as the repository home.

Fair enough. In fact, I hope it won't include db12c for a long while! Last thing I need is an unstable db under a monitoring product!

> RE: DB 12cR1 I certainly wouldn't be trusting any production
> databases or my OMS repository to DB 12cR1 any time soon. My Cloud
> Control installation is a production system. If that fails I have no
> backups!

That is one of the areas I am not happy with EM12c: exactly how to make it a HA system?
Not easy, from what I've seen so far. At least not without some extreme complexity added on. Of course, good old "tar cvf" works and will always work. But I thought in this day and age something more sophisticated could be knocked together, without needing a full-on RAC install or an extensive DG setup!

> every feature. Not every database is mission critical. Some systems
> will work quite happily on the buggiest piece of crap. We have some
> systems I would gladly run on 12cR1, safe in the knowledge it would
> take 20 minutes to switch back to 11gR2. Yes, they are that small! :)

Bingo. 100% agreed. That is indeed how db12c will start with us.

> If I wait until 12cR2 before I start
> learning this stuff I'm going to be in real trouble when someone asks
> me in 18 months to do a 11gR2 > 12cR2 upgrade. Companies have to get
> involved now, or the will get in real trouble when the time comes to
> try it out.

Disagree. I managed quite well with staying away from 11g until 11.2.0.3. And last year I upgraded 12 prod instances from 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 without any major problem and with tremendous improvements in performance. Mind you: rather than trying to re-invent the wheel, I simply took all the info I could out of the Database Upgrade team at Oracle, run by Mark Dietrich and under the management of a guy whose name now escapes me.
Those guys deserve all the credit I can possibly heap on them! I really hope Mike does an encore for 12c: it's the only way I might consider installing it before 2015.
Oh, and I used the good info in your site a LOT. There are quite a few sites out there with all sorts of over-the-top technical stuff but yours seems to come up tops when weird stuff happens to day-to-day setups - and that http security in 11gr2 is a RPITA, let me tell you!... :-(

Mind you: I don't for a pico-second subscribe to the silly marketing notion that somehow when a new release shows up, everyone who is still not using it has suddenly become completely IT ignorant and needs to be "re-educated".
I do distinguish between IT education and IT training: the two are NOT the same, by any stretch of the imagination.

> I wrote this a while ago:

http://www.oracle-base.com/blog/2013/03/03/how-can-we-make-oracle-database-12cr2-the-best-release-ever/

Yeah, I read it. I don't have the slightest inclination to get involved in beta programs. Mostly because "being first" with new release training is totally irrelevant to me and my work - and has been for the last 13 years!
If I was still in the consulting world, yes indeed: that might be important. But I've left those waters a long time ago. As for the sales folks: rest assured they hate me now as much as they used to! :-)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto