Re: Opinion on change control for DBA scripts

From: Norman Cobley <nc5_at_sanger.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 17:14:42 +0100

I use version control for most of my scripts, in the past this has been CVS, now many of our developers use SVN and I check in code I write as well as keep separate backup copies (Im paranoid ;+) ) For me the value of revision control is that it allows me to remember what Ive done to code and when I break it I can go back to previous versions. However.....inherited scripts sometimes have sensitive information hardcoded (I know....) so beware if any that you have fall into this category ...

Norman

On 26/06/2013 21:40, Sandra Becker wrote: Jeremy,
You bring up some good points I hadn't considered before. As the only DBA at the company, I don't have to worry about other people changing my scripts and I always make a copy before I do any edits. Something I learned to do 20 years ago when I first became a DBA. None of the scripts I lost were critical to the operation of the company, only to me as the DBA. They use svn for the application code. I don't have access to svn though. In the past I've been told it was only for application code, not the silly little scripts a DBA would write. Development handles all the control of svn.

--

 The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research  Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a  company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered  office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Jun 27 2013 - 18:14:42 CEST

Original text of this message