Re: Opinion on change control for DBA scripts

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 11:28:10 -0600

I've modified most of the scripts so they are generic and have no sensitive information hardcoded. Unfortunately, I have a set of 8 scripts that I can't make generic and they do contain hardcoded sensitive information. My hands are tied on those 8, but everything else will work nicely in svn. My boss agreed to get me access today.
Some really good thoughts in the thread. Thanks everyone.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:14 AM, Norman Cobley <nc5_at_sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> I use version control for most of my scripts, in the past this has been
> CVS, now many of our developers use SVN and I check in code I write as
> well as keep separate backup copies (Im paranoid ;+) ) For me the value
> of revision control is that it allows me to remember what Ive done to
> code and when I break it I can go back to previous versions.
> However.....inherited scripts sometimes have sensitive information
> hardcoded (I know....) so beware if any that you have fall into this
> category ...
>

> Norman
>
> On 26/06/2013 21:40, Sandra Becker wrote:
> Jeremy,
> You bring up some good points I hadn't considered before. As the only DBA
> at the company, I don't have to worry about other people changing my
> scripts and I always make a copy before I do any edits. Something I
> learned to do 20 years ago when I first became a DBA. None of the scripts
> I lost were critical to the operation of the company, only to me as the
> DBA. They use svn for the application code. I don't have access to svn
> though. In the past I've been told it was only for application code, not
> the silly little scripts a DBA would write. Development handles all the
> control of svn.
>

> --
> The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
> Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
> company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
> office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.