Re: Opinion on change control for DBA scripts

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 07:53:35 -0600

I used to keep my scripts on a network drive and was told to remove them because they took up too much space--about 300M, not big in my opinion considering the alternative to not backing them up. They weren't backing up that drive either at the time.
My primary script directory is under $ORACLE_BASE/admin, but the sys admins deemed the $ORACLE_BASE path not important enough to backup. Got that resolved after some serious battles with IT and finally our boss stepping in to say "back them up on all DB servers". I make copies of those scripts as well as my personal DBA scripts. Trust but verify isn't good enough around here.

Funny you should mention getting rid of those pesky data files. A couple of months after I started and began the massive backup/cleanup/monitoring/tuning tasks, the lead sys admin started deleting redo log files--on the production database. So we all know what happened next. I was working that issue when I started getting pages that one of the development databases had errors in the alert log. It also had crashed. Seems the same guy went out and decided to clean up the disk and deleted several data files because he didn't know what they were. Fortunately, I had gotten database backups working my first week on the job so I could restore. Fast forward 4 years. Guess what the same guy did again. Suffice to say I was livid. At least they call now to tell me they are going to clean up disk and ask if I want to save anything. I've even documented the mount points, directories, and file extensions never to touch, but still they want to clean it up. I've never worked with such poor sys admins prior to coming here. It's been a challenge to say the least.

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.