RE: Opinion on change control for DBA scripts

From: Patterson, Joel <jpatterson_at_entint.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2013 10:06:45 -0400

Holly Molly,
It is really frustrating when you have a server that is essentially dedicated to oracle and the DBA is not the one that everyone should at least be listening to.

After all isn't the number one job, protecting the companies data?

Backing up the software directory is part of the overall restore plan for me - and that just naturally includes $ORACLE_BASE, as well as /var/opt/oracle, and /usr/local/bin. It just makes life easier.

(tnsnames, central inventory, oraenv (I use a copy oraenvset), and so forth).

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 928-2790

From: Sandra Becker [mailto:sbecker6925_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2013 9:54 AM
To: Patterson, Joel; oracle-l
Subject: Re: Opinion on change control for DBA scripts

I used to keep my scripts on a network drive and was told to remove them because they took up too much space--about 300M, not big in my opinion considering the alternative to not backing them up. They weren't backing up that drive either at the time. My primary script directory is under $ORACLE_BASE/admin, but the sys admins deemed the $ORACLE_BASE path not important enough to backup. Got that resolved after some serious battles with IT and finally our boss stepping in to say "back them up on all DB servers". I make copies of those scripts as well as my personal DBA scripts. Trust but verify isn't good enough around here.

Funny you should mention getting rid of those pesky data files. A couple of months after I started and began the massive backup/cleanup/monitoring/tuning tasks, the lead sys admin started deleting redo log files--on the production database. So we all know what happened next. I was working that issue when I started getting pages that one of the development databases had errors in the alert log. It also had crashed. Seems the same guy went out and decided to clean up the disk and deleted several data files because he didn't know what they were. Fortunately, I had gotten database backups working my first week on the job so I could restore. Fast forward 4 years. Guess what the same guy did again. Suffice to say I was livid. At least they call now to tell me they are going to clean up disk and ask if I want to save anything. I've even documented the mount points, directories, and file extensions never to touch, but still they want to clean it up. I've never worked with   such poor sys admins prior to coming here. It's been a challenge to say the least.

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.

--
Joel Patterson
Sr. Database Administrator | Enterprise Integration

[http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/signaturev61.jpg]<http://www.entint.com/>

[http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/th_FaceBook1.jpg]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Enterprise-Integration/212351215444231> [http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/th_Twitter1.jpg] <http://twitter.com/#!/entint> [http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/th_LinkedIn1.jpg] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/18276?trk=tyah> [http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb367/Entint/th_YouTube1.jpg] <http://www.youtube.com/user/ValueofIT>
This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company. [v.1.1] -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l