RE: Using DBMS_METADATA/DBMS_REDFINITION to move all objects to another TS

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 13:17:53 -0500 (CDT)

Joel writes:

> I was wondering after you have moved everything to the new tablespace, if
> you cannot simply rename the tablespace? And of course rename the
> datafiles on disk and in the database as well?
>
> It seems to be faster -- so just wondering if there is some benefit not
> already gained.

It would be 50% faster, with several 100GBs of less redo! I hadn't thought of that, only because the datafiles for the new "temporary" tablespace are on newly-allocated virtual disks from the SAN, which I planned to return to the SAN post-move.

I'll have to give that some thought -- thanks for the idea!

Rich