Re: Using DBMS_METADATA/DBMS_REDFINITION to move all objects to another TS

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist2_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2013 13:35:11 -0500 (CDT)

Andrew replied to Mark:

> I expect you answered your own question, it probably needs to be done
> online. You can also automate the steps in dbms_redefintion, it took me
> some time but I was able to write a stored procedure to do it for an entire
> tablespace. One hint is to turn off the pretty option.

The downtime requirement of the ALTER TABLE MOVE would take months. An important aspect I left out is there is just shy of 1TB to move across ~3400 tables and ~7100 indexes on POWER6 hardware.

The only thing I should need to worry about for the DBMS_REDEF is the amount of redo generated, which will fill my FRA up (where the RMAN backups are) unless I manually manage the backups.

And, yes, the indexes have specific names as JDEdwards will cause all sorts of trouble when adding new ones if they are renamed, but that's a different thread entirely. :)

Thanks guys!
Rich