Re: Running time of index rebuild

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2013 18:50:39 -0600

My apologies for not keeping track of this thread, and I have to admit that I don't even know what the OP was asking, but whenever I see a prolonged discussion on index drop/recreate or rebuild, I always have this indefinable urge to remind (or inform) of the ALTER INDEX ... COALESCE command, which often accomplishes exactly what people may have wanted from drop/recreate or rebuild, but in a kinder, gentler fashion?

Oracle has some decent documentation on this too ("http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25494/indexes002.htm#i1006415").

I'll scuttle back under my rock now...