Re: Semi-OT: Vi Question/Need

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 21:37:05 +1100

On 20/03/2013 1:00 AM, Hans Forbrich wrote:
> On 19/03/2013 1:27 AM, William Robertson wrote:
>> I don't appear to have a cut utility on my Windows desktop (which is where
>> I use SQL*Plus).
> Consider http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm

Nice! That seems to be the core set of cygwin, externalized! IIRC, Nial at some stage showed how to do grep with the latest "find" command in Windows.
But I prefer to learn in depth only one set of commands: life is too short for multiple clis!

> And these days, who doesn't use Cygwin. Heck, the Cloud Control 12c
> installation guide tells you how to install Cygwin on your favorite
> Windows platform.

You are kidding me! Amazing! Until very recently the only thing Oracle Australia recommended was vnc.
Which by default makes it extremely hard to see what one enters in the orainst data entry fields!
cygwin is the only one I've seen that has by default the right size and type of fonts for orainst.
Or more likely: the developer(s) of orainst use cygwin! ;)

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto