VNC vs Cygwin (was RE: Semi-OT: Vi Question/Need)

From: Brian Pardy <brianpa_at_burton.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:16:46 +0000

Nuno Souto wrote:
> You are kidding me! Amazing! Until very recently the only thing Oracle Australia
> recommended was vnc.
> Which by default makes it extremely hard to see what one enters in the orainst
> data entry fields!
> cygwin is the only one I've seen that has by default the right size and type of
> fonts for orainst.
> Or more likely: the developer(s) of orainst use cygwin! ;)

Stick with VNC for installing/upgrading Cloud Control 12c. I ran into an "interesting" bug (14623310, now patched via auto-update) where Cygwin's openssh+Xserver, with or without the -Y/-X flags, would silently timeout the X display support after about 20 minutes causing an upgrade failure moving from 12cR1 to R2. There's a step in the upgrade that runs a blind X app with no UI that was failing silently since it couldn't connect to my $DISPLAY when it was run about 25 minutes into the upgrade process.

I will probably use VNC for all installs/upgrades for the next decade because of this.

-Brian