Re: oracle 11g uses more CPU than 10g

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 22:31:59 +1100

On 8/03/2013 10:09 PM, Marcin Przepiorowski wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 7:59 AM, Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> Seeing exactly the opposite here, from 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3, on Aix P6.
>> wE ALSO UPGRADED aIX FROM 5.3 TO 7.1.
>>

> Be aware that AIX changed reporting of CPU utilization - especially for
> Oracle
> Check my post about it --
> http://oracleprof.blogspot.ie/2013/02/oracle-on-aix-wheres-my-cpu-time.htm

Yeah, I saw that post. It might have changed for P7. But I am running P6 and in that one there is no issue with SMT whatsoever and I don't see major discrepancies between elapsed time and db cpu one. As well, I don't use nmon. Only SAR and topas. I've found nmon too unreliable in the past,with multiple issues in 5.3 Aix. I don't think it's a specific change from IBM just for Oracle: they rarely do that, despite Oracle's FUD.
More like a case of not all needles pointing to same North at same time. We might upgrade soon to P7, so I'll definitely keep an eye out for that one!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto