RE: Options for poorly performing SQL

From: Coll-Barth, Michael <Michael.Coll-Barth_at_VerizonWireless.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 17:13:57 -0500

You make it sound as if that were true of all app people. I'm an 'app people'. Although, I have to admit that you have a point. I do see that attitude a lot. Since I could give a rodent's behind for any particular language or DB ( RDBMS or otherwise ), I use whatever is best suited to my app. When it comes to getting my data, I try to figure out how to best do that. Of course, I've practically become a DBA in the process.

Since I run Oracle on a Windows and a Linux box for sport ( AIX for production ), I had to learn and perform DBA duties. I see the effort that my DBAs go through to support my app. It's only fair that I do the same. And we constantly look for DB resource hogs. Sometimes adding more memory or disk space isn't going to make any difference.