Re: Exadata patching + Oracle support

From: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 06:56:20 -0800 (PST)

I don't understand the question you ask below. Platinum support provides "patch" application for you (among other things listed below). It doesn't provide access to patches not covered by premier support.  There is no such thing as "bugs/issues that require patching not covered by Premier Support"

 From: "Stephens, Chris" <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com> To: Job Miller <jobmiller_at_yahoo.com>; "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:27 AM Subject: RE: Exadata patching + Oracle support

I guess I’m wondering how frequently other Exadata shops are running into bugs/issues that require patching not covered by Premier Support.
From:Job Miller [mailto:jobmiller_at_yahoo.com] Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2013 8:20 AM To: Stephens, Chris; 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' Subject: Re: Exadata patching + Oracle support
read the documentation for yourself.

http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/oracle-platinum-services-ds-1653256.pdf
Extreme Support Value

Oracle Platinum Services is a special entitlement available to Oracle Premier Support  customers running certified configurations on Oracle engineered systems. It gives customers  the power to access even more valuable support services under their existing support  agreement without paying extra. In addition to receiving the complete support essentials with  Oracle Premier Support, qualifying Oracle Platinum Services customers also receive:

• 24/7 Oracle remote fault monitoring
• Industry-leading response and restore times
• 5-Minute Fault Notification
• 15-Minute Restoration or Escalation to Development
• 30-Minute Joint Debugging with Development
• Patch deployments four times per year

The scope of that is spelled out in greater detail in another document referenced below:
Patch Deployment:

Oracle Platinum Services also includes quarterly patching services in  which Oracle applies the Quarterly Full Stack Download Patch (QDP) for Engineered  Systems to covered systems four times per year via the Oracle Advanced Support Gateway.  We work collaboratively with customers to assess, analyze, plan and deploy updates and  patches to mitigate risks and complications. Through this continuous improvement, customers  can experience greater system performance, availability, and security. Frequent updates also enable rapid adoption of Oracle product enhancements, including  powerful new features and functionality that can quickly be put to work for the business.
To view a list of Certified Platinum Configurations, the programs that will be patched, and the  scope of the remote patching deployment, please visit us online at  http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/remote-quarterly-patching-scope-1652890.pdf

From:"Stephens, Chris" <Chris.Stephens_at_adm.com> To: "'oracle-l_at_freelists.org'" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, January 9, 2013 8:57 AM Subject: Exadata patching + Oracle support

Would anyone care to comment on the fact that Oracle sales folks are saying that Exadata patching is included in the purchase price of Exadata appliances + support vs. the "patch madness" I keep hearing about? Management is under the impression that Oracle would handle all patching if Exadata is brought into the datacenter.  That's what Oracle seems to be claiming but I'm skeptical.

Thanks,
Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient  or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,  please notify us immediately by email reply.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Jan 09 2013 - 15:56:20 CET

Original text of this message