Re: Hyperthreading - Oracle license

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2013 14:56:21 +0100

Hi,
The cpu threads are not playing a role when determining the number of processor licenses.
Only the number of cores and processor type is important (for Enterprise Edition).

You can find this in the processor definition (should be in the end user agreement)

extract:

"The number of required licenses shall be determined by multiplying the total number of cores of the processor by a core processor licensing factor specified on the Oracle Processor Core Factor Table which can be accessed at http://oracle.com/contracts"

so 2 intel x86-64 quad cores with hyperthreading will show 16 os cpu's, but count for 8 cores and require 4 processor licenses.

A general remark:

Whenever you have a question on oracle licensing, don't (solely) trust on sources such as mailing lists (no, not even on me), but ask the question to your Oracle account manager and let him/her confirm in writing.

The amount of money involved when you get it wrong (either by buying to much of by getting penalties after a license audit) it way to high. ;-)

Kind regards,

--
Freek D'Hooge
Uptime