Re: VMs on SSDs or 7500 rpm SATAs?

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 08:02:21 -0700

On 03/01/2013 7:49 AM, Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net wrote:
> So I changed the subject a bit here - does anyone have recommendations on running VMs off of SSDs versus SATAs? (I've seen to stay away from 5400rpm SATAs for performance reasons)
>
> I'm trying to gauge the impact of having virtual disks sitting in SSD (thru a VM app) and those disks having some amount of write activity - and perhaps I'm overanalyzing. Maybe I would need a larger capacity disk before I started wearing out an SSD? These would be lab setups for my own testing of upgrades etc.
>
> I'm thinking something like the following:
>
> 1. Primary SSD for OS and apps
> 2. 2 SSDs for VMs
> 3. Largish type SATA drive for backups of important files
>
> Something like that.
>
> Chris

I develop a lot of VMs for Oracle classes (have several hundred at this time)

  • I have an external drive on which I develop VMs
  • I have an internal SATA on which I run most VMs, esp where performance is not critical
  • I run a few very important VMs on SSD

So my response is "as is normal for Oracle - it depends'.

"While I admire the idea of standards, don't let them become a ruling bureaucracy. Leave that for governments."

/Hans