Re: interview question on schema design

From: Remigiusz Sokolowski <remigiusz.sokolowski_at_nordea.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 08:36:46 +0100

On 14.12.2012 22:42, Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com wrote:
> "No, we can't change the SQL. It's generated by Hibernate." I've learned to hate those words.

AFAIK the true response is: yes, we can. I met some time ago similar application and the reasonable paradigm was to lay on hibernate with simple queries (such as updating a row based on pk or selecting this row), while every more complex query was pulled out to allow for cutting the SQL to the right shape and addition of possible hints. Of course this was more labor-intensive, but not so much, and much less problems on production.
So IMHO this is not so EVIL, assuming reasonably used, while do not remember any positive feedback on the list - any similar experiences?

Regards
Remigiusz

--
Pole na kazi

Remigiusz Sokolowski <remigiusz.sokolowski_at_nordea.com>
pos   : Senior DBA at DIiUSI
addr  : Nordea Bank Polska SA, Luzycka 6A st, 81-537 Gdynia, Poland
phone : +48 58 667 17 43
mobile: +48 602 42 42 77
Nordea Bank Polska S.A. z siedziba w Gdyni, ul. Kielecka 2, 81-303 Gdynia,
wpisana do Rejestru Przedsiebiorców Krajowego Rejestru Sadowego pod numerem: 0000021828,
dla której dokumentacje przechowuje Sad Rejonowy Gdansk - Pólnoc w Gdansku,
VIII Wydzial Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sadowego,
o kapitale zakladowym i wplaconym w wysokosci: 277.493.500,00 zlotych,
NIP: 586-000-78-20, REGON: 190024711--