Re: Num of Partitions with Subpartitions - quick newbie question

From: Paresh Yadav <yparesh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:31:28 -0500

Even though physical limits might be much bigger as Andy has pointed out usually you don't want to go beyond 10,000 for practical reasons as I have experienced (in my specific circumstances): We had about 25 partitioned tables (no sub partition),1 partition per day. Due to large size of the database we decided to keep each partition in its own tablespace for ability to drop the tablespace including contents at the end of 7 year period when the old data needed to be purged, to make the tablespaces READONLY and hence backup infrequently etc..

At about 10,000 tablespace count the database startup and shutdown time got very slow in the range of 10 to 15 minutes (absolutely value will vary with hardware but it is proportional to number of database files). Also it took a lot of time to backup 10,000 small tablespaces (one file per tablspace) as compared to backing up 1000 large tablespaces.

Regards,
Paresh

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 11:49 AM, <Christopher.Taylor2_at_parallon.net> wrote:

> Thanks Andy - much appreciated.
> Chris

Thanks
Paresh