Re: Questions about Postgres and Oracle

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2012 17:49:56 +0100

On 06/12/2012 17:33, Sandra Becker wrote:
> I've never heard this before yesterday and
> wonder how other companies are positioning themselves regarding the future
> of their databases. Can anyone shed a little light on the subject or point
> me to a good resource?

Not expressing an opinion but just sharing a few facts that seem somehow related:

  • about 5 years ago we had only Oracle databases in our enterprise
  • about 3 years ago - mostly Oracle databases and a few MySQL databases
  • now the distribution Oracle/MySQL is about 50/50 - in fact, the number of MySQL databases is much higher, but the ratio Oracle/MySQL instances is 50/50 - and, a few days ago, we installed our first PostgrSQL production database :)

Now in addition to the Oracle documentation, I'm reading the official MySQL and PostgreSQL documentation ...

Regards
Dimitre