Questions about Postgres and Oracle

From: Sandra Becker <sbecker6925_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 09:33:02 -0700

I learned yesterday that our new billing application is being written to use a Postgres database instead of the Oracle database it currently uses. Somehow or other (development hasn't figured it out yet), they will pull data from the Oracle database and load it into Postgres. I know nothing about Postgres, but I'm wondering how simple it will be to manage. Also do reads block writes?
 I also learned that development plans to move away from Oracle by breaking up and rewriting the current convoluted, complex application and building a lot of small Postgres databases to handle the various pieces and somehow joining them all together to replicate what we currently do with the Oracle database because "Oracle DBs are an outdated, monolithic way to handle data and not at all scalable". I've never heard this before yesterday and wonder how other companies are positioning themselves regarding the future of their databases. Can anyone shed a little light on the subject or point me to a good resource?

--

Sandy
Transzap, Inc.

--