Standby on same physical host

From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2012 05:15:36 -0700

Hello:
Requirement: The current EMC storage has some maintenance work (details not given as to what the exact maintenance was by storage admins). Client want to reduce downtime an asked for a possible solution. Storage admins are going to allocate duplicate storage (to replicate current storage).

Solution: Create a standby(active. not required really for this probably) on the same physical box and create the asm diskgroup on the new storage. Start recovery process and cutover during maintenance. No changes to application would be required (tnsnames etc). Once the maintenance is complete, do the opposite. This is not a solution for DR but to minimize downtime for a storage maintenance. I was thinking this would be better than building a standby on a new physical host as it would avoid changes to application.

       The other solution would be to add another diskgroup to the same asm and let it rebalance and drop the original diskgroup after rebalance but that may not be required really because client wants to go back to old storage after maintenance.
Are there any other solutions that I am not thinking? Any issues with building standby on the same box other than the fact that it is not a true DR.

Thank you
Kumar