RE: index clarification

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 10:42:12 -0400

That what I thought! I've been going crazy thinking how it works w/o the rowid! Jeremy

From: edward kosciuszko [] Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:41 AM To: Sheehan, Jeremy
Subject: Re: index clarification

You're tech lead is wrong. Of course it contains the ROWID.

From: "Sheehan, Jeremy" <> To: Oracle - L <> Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:36 AM Subject: index clarification

This may seem like a newbie question, but my technical lead told me something yesterday that was contrary my thinking and assumptions on how indexes work.

I was always under the assumption (from studies and readings) that an index contains the values for the indexed columns and a rowid that points back to the table. My technical lead says that indexes do not have a rowid. Is he right? If it doesn't contain the rowid, how does it relate back to the table?

Thanks in advance...