Re: Multi-instances cluster and ASM max lun numbers

From: Robert Hanuschke <robert.hanuschke_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:08:53 +0200

Hi Stefano,
have you tested and experienced performance decreases when having combined DATA / FRA / REDO luns for several databases?

I run some clusters where up to 30 databases share the same disk groups - one for data, one for fra, 2 separate for redo log mirrors on faster disks - just separated by directories inside ASM (OMF). Not having any problems with it.
Would only consider adding more redo log luns on different physical disks once we experience I/O problems, the data disks do not show signs of too much load even during busy times.

This might of course be different in your environment, having applications that behave another way.
But I think it's worth checking if you really need 3 luns for every database you have. Even more so if those luns access the same disks on your storage system in the end.

Best regards,
Robert
http://robertvsoracle.blogspot.com