Re: Multiversion startup script for linux

From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:56:07 +0530

Not at all, this is very old method of using it. Norman has also informed some of the things..
Sorry I will have to search the peace of code, some time rather years back I was in need of such script to start and stop database, application services, forms and reports services using a script. It was configured as a service at os level like other products so it was doing its job as expected. The script should start respective services depending upon existence of respective homes, not just entry in oratab, it should also trap the important error/s if cropped up in alert log during startup. and also validate that the it is clean start, not just start.

And most important is after if you start once then script should not attempt to start once again similarly while shutting down. It also should inform the failure or success of script depending upon availability of respective homes, important files used during startup This all should be done depending upon the startup level of host i.e,. in single user mode these services are not required. The script also used to send out mails if any of the service went down and similarly while bringing up.with reasons such as normal start or abrupt stop, clean start after abrupt stop etc..

In your case I do not think It should be a problem, oracle homes are different and generally no one change the names of listener, string names etc very often.
In your case I think you should create three different services for your three different databases so you will have better control, you can combined into one.

Thanks!
Subodh

On 17 July 2012 20:41, Howard Latham <howard.latham_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running 10 and 11 on the same box REDHAT Enterprise
> I'm sure Oracle had a script that read oratab and started say a 9 a 10 and
> an 11 database using the correct homes.
> Or Did I dream it?
>

> --
> Howard A. Latham

This Gmail Account will be deactivated  in One Months Time