Re: Why does a datafile extend a very large amount at very infrequent intervals?

From: Syed Jaffar Hussain <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 13:45:53 +0300

Hey Rich, thank you for bringing this to our notice. We are too suffering from this, where tbs grows 18GB at one shot and unfortunately Oracle hasn't answered yet.
I really need to have a look at this Note. We are on, is there any work around exists till we get the 11204? On Wednesday, July 11, 2012, Rich wrote:

> [removing the rest of the email chain to prevent getting over-quoting]
> Finally found the answer to this one (with no help from Oracle Support) -
> it's due to the new [in 11g] Oracle process ora_smco.
> This process "performs tablespace-level space (extent) pre-allocation".
> This is noted in Oracle Note 743773.1 (last modified 13APR2012).
> Another thing to potentially note about this is that this process spawns
> slave processes (ora_w###).
> On our instance, we also see these processes consuming more CPU time than
> expected - this is bug 12760469: STBH: KTSJ USES CONSIDERABLE AMOUNT OF
> This bug is supposed to be fixed in
> Rich
> Including keywords such that a search will hopefully find this:
> --

Best Regards,

Syed Jaffar Hussain
Oracle ACE Director
Oracle Certified Master
Co-author Oracle 11gR1/R2 RAC Essentials <>
*Oracle Magazine DBA of year (2011)*
OCP 8i,9i,10g & 11g DBA
RAC Certified Expert
ITIL V3 foundation certified
Oracle RAC SIG Representative for Saudi Arabian

Advisory & Governance Council for
I blog at  :
LinkedIn :
Follow me on twitter :!/sjaffarhussain
"Winners don't do different things. They do things differently."