Re: OT: sheltered little world i live in -> NODB?

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 20:37:22 +0000

My US$0.02...
When I read that article, especially the part about an implicitly ignorant "marketing guy" claiming that a relational database is needed, and that flat files won't work, I hear a blinkered technical niche-worker who sees only his own little job function and cannot conceive of any other requirements, such as downstream data analytics, data mining, and data warehousing. I see an organization strangling for lack of ad-hoc access to data, choking on the software development lifecycle, flogging overworked developers who struggle to churn out new reports from arbitrary and unstructured flat-file structures.

Like "Uncle Bob" here, I also heard a "marketing guy" give a similar message some years ago, saying that the cutting-edge application on which I was working needed to be scrapped and rebuilt due to a technology mistake. This "marketing guy", like Uncle Bob's in his rant, was totally correct, and I've given him the pseudonym "Joe" in my account of that story found online here, which was also a chapter in the "Tales Of The Oak Table" book.

Thank goodness folks like "Uncle Bob" mostly exist in the blogosphere as critics or pundits, lacking real authority. The IT industry is chock full of examples of the "Peter Principle", people promoted one step (or more) beyond their level of competency, with disastrous results. This guy, like myself, was fortunate enough to step away into independent consulting, so that we could remain voluntarily petrified in our chosen discipline at our chosen level of expertise, and thus minimize the damage from making important decisions for large organizations.

The difference is, I know I did so to avoid falling victim to a job promotion too far. "Uncle Bob" seems to indicate that he did it because he's right and the world is wrong.