Re: Number with a length of -1?

From: Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 15:44:47 -0400

If anyone is interested Oracle support confirmed this may be related to the bug below even though they claim it is fixed in 10.2. They do not have a good way for us to find the bad data(other than running to_number inside a pl/sql procedure on all numbers fields in the database and logging errors). Doc ID 311346.1

One theory we have (I don't have a proC resource to test this yet) is that we may be inserting -.000001 into say a 15,3 field and that is round to -0 which is invalid. Oracle said it is possible to insert a -0 in the database. We have been using ProC for back end inserts because it out performs everything else. This is in large part due to skipping the sql layer and the validity checks that come with it.